Thursday, February 23, 2012

AM station going away

CKMO-900 Victoria, BC will be going off the air at the end of the month.

The station, associated with Camosun College, started as a low-powered FM operation on 103.1. Ten years ago, commercial station CJVI-900 arranged a frequency swap with CKMO. (the commercial operator was able to significantly increase power on the FM facility) As part of the deal, CJVI agreed to cover the costs of maintaining the AM transmitter for ten years.

That period has expired, and CKMO has determined it cannot afford to maintain the AM facility.

The station will revert to online broadcasting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Camosun College will still operate its radio station on the web.

Anonymous said...

I cannot afford unlimited data plans on my phone which costs month after month. I can afford a radio which only costs me once, when I purchase it. I won't be tuning into online stations. They cost too much. You will only be talking to the rich people. But I guess that's what you want. The rest of us, are just being left out.